Important Information Regarding How COVID-19 Affects The Advocacy Center
We appreciate your kindness and concern for our families and children who enter the doors at the Advocacy Center to begin their path to healing and justice. The safety and well-being of our families, employees, supporters, and volunteers are of the highest importance to all of us. In response to growing concerns surrounding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Advocacy Center is closely monitoring the situation.
We know that children are typically safest in school and we are deeply concerned about an increase in physical and sexual abuse of children during extended spring breaks and school cancellations. In fact, we have already seen an uptick in severe physical abuse cases and in the first week of March, we conducted 50 forensic interviews, more than twice the average number. Ten children a day came in to tell their story. The ripple effect of this pandemic has not been fully realized but as a provider of critical services to victims of abuse we will continue to provide these services at both locations.
We know many of our supporters have questions about how we are dealing with this with the virus with our clients and staff and how we are going to make decisions about upcoming events.
At the Center:
We have developed a response plan as follows:
- We are closely monitoring recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO), U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Texas Department of Health Services, Denton County Department of Public Health
- An Advocacy Center Preparedness Team has been established to ensure readiness for potential short and long-term implications and to provide guidance to our families, employees, supporters, and volunteers.
- Our cleaning and maintenance team has increased attention to cleaning and disinfecting all areas of both the Lewisville and Denton locations.
Here’s how you can help:
Provide items needed in our Rainbow Room, from diapers and kids clothing and shoes to non-perishable foods. We expect an increase in need for these items within the coming weeks. Please follow us on Facebook for the latest information and ways to help: facebook.com/CACDC.
Tours of our offices are suspended at this time until further notice.
The Grand Opening of the Lewisville Office on March 30, 2020 is cancelled. We hope to celebrate this momentous achievement with you, but do not yet have an alternative date.
The Champions for Children Gala, originally scheduled for April 18, 2020 has been postponed. We will let you know the new date as soon as possible. As we continue to monitor COVID-19 related updates and recommendations from federal and state public health authorities, we will make necessary and timely changes based on updated information and communicate that information to you as soon as possible. Please follow us on social media for updates.
Volunteering at the Advocacy Center:
At this time, all volunteer activity onsite at both our Lewisville location and our Denton location is suspended. This is to keep our families, staff, and volunteers as safe as possible. We know that needs for our Rainbow Room items will increase. If you are in need of volunteer hours, or just want to help, consider hosting a drive for needed items. We will notify our current volunteers when we are able to resume volunteer activities.
Things you can do to stay safe:
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds with soap and water.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your mouth with a tissue when coughing and/or sneezing.
- Avoid handshakes and/or hugs.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched items and surfaces such as your keypad, phone, etc.
- Stay at home if you are sick. Restrict activities outside your home, with the exception of seeking medical care.
We will continue to monitor the situation and send updates as needed. Thank you for your flexibility, patience, and for your continued support.